Quantcast

Deprecated SCSI_IOCTL_SEND_COMMAND with "-d marvell"

Deprecated SCSI_IOCTL_SEND_COMMAND with "-d marvell"

Anup Nidhanee

Hello,

I am using the latest smartmontools 5.38

This is my output

# ./smartctl -i /dev/sda -d marvell

smartctl versionprogram smartctl is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO

 5.38 [arm-none-linux-gnueabi] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen

Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Device Model:   program smartctl is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO

  Hitachi HDP725016GLA380

Serial Number:    GEL830RB01LXMB

Firmware Version: GMBOA52A

User Capacity:    160,041,885,696 bytes

Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]

ATA Version is:   8

ATA Standard is:  ATA-8-ACS revision 4

Local Time is:    Tue Nov 30 02:31:15 1999 UTC

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

program smartctl is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO

program smartctl is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO

program smartctl is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO

I am a total newbie to smartmontools & the entire Linux kernel as such, however I did a bit of hacking and found that it is the 'SCSI_IOCTL_SEND_COMMAND' ioctl inside the function marvell_command_interface in the file Os_linux.cpp.

I want to get rid of these messages. I understand that the above messages are just a warning from the kernel & maybe I should just comment out the messages in the kernel source if it is bothering me too much (which they definitely are) but I have a few questions regarding this.

1. Is the solution to this just a matter of changing the deprecated SCSI_IOCTL_SEND_COMMAND to something else (SG_IO)?

2. Is there any patch available which doesn’t use this deprecated ioctl anymore?

3. Are there any plans to convert this above deprecated ioctl to SG_IO in future releases?

3. If the answer to q2 & q3 is NO then I would like to provide the same, so please give me pointers as to how I should go about "converting a deprecated SCSI ioctl to SG_IO?

Thanks in advance.

--
Anup Nidhanee