Quantcast

Inquiry: USB Devices which support SMART Protocol -- Recommendations?

Inquiry: USB Devices which support SMART Protocol -- Recommendations?

Stefan Nowak
Hello!

ABOUT ME AND MY USE OF SMARTMONTOOLS:
In my peers, I often do jobs as a computer technician. My tasks are
often, data/harddisk checking/migration/backup/restoring.

Hence, I now consider to buy one or two of these plug-n-play IDE/SATA
to USB/eSATA adapters/docking-stations, which will enable me to do my
jobs faster than opening/attaching/closing a HD into external cases or
inside Desktop/Tower-PCs, especially when I am at customers with my
laptop (MacBookPro).

INQUIRY: I would like to buy a device, which has the ability to
successfully pass the SMART protocol through the USB interface. Any
particular recommendations?

I was reading:
http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/faq.html#testinghelp

And found your supported devices list at:
http://smartmontools.wiki.sourceforge.net/overview_USB-Support

Thanks, for the people who have already contributed!

In my country (Austria) there is an electronic product/retailer
comparison site:
http://geizhals.at/?cat=hdzub&sort=p&pixonoff=on&asuch=usb+sata
http://geizhals.at/?cat=hdzub&sort=p&pixonoff=on&asuch=usb+ide

It features these devices:

Conceptronic CHDDOCK23E, eSATA/USB 2.0
Conceptronic CSATAi23U IDE/SATA auf USB 2.0 Adapter
DeLOCK 61391 IDE/SATA auf USB 2.0 Adapter
DeLOCK 61511 IDE/SATA auf USB 2.0/eSATA Adapter
Digitus DA-70148 IDE/SATA auf USB 2.0 Adapter
Digitus DA-70149 eSATA/SATA auf USB Adapter
Diverse SATA auf USB 2.0 Adapter/Dockingstationen
LogiLink HDD Docking Station, eSATA/USB 2.0 (QP0002)
NesteQ NSH-2002 Ricord IDE/SATA 2.5"/3.5" auf USB 2.0 Adapter
Scythe Kama Connect 2, IDE/SATA 2.5"/3.5" auf USB 2.0 Adapter
(SCUPS-2000)
Sharkoon DriveLink IDE/SATA auf USB 2.0 Adapter (6403)
Sharkoon SATA Quickdeck rot, eSATA/USB 2.0 (8452)
Sharkoon SATA Quickdeck schwarz, eSATA/USB 2.0 (8445)
Sharkoon SATA Quickdeck silber, eSATA/USB 2.0 (8438)
Sharkoon SATA Quickport Duo, eSATA/USB 2.0 (4044951008421)
Sharkoon SATA Quickport Pro, eSATA/USB 2.0 (4044951008209)
Sharkoon SATA Quickport, USB 2.0 (7790)
Skymaster 8632 IDE/SATA auf USB 2.0 Adapter

Now the only device from this list, which is also featured on
smartmontools' USB-Support wikisite is:

Digitus DA-70148-1

So please, if anyone has made experiences with one of the featured
devices, please add your experiences to the wikisite!

Additional info, for which I am personally very thankful: If you
bought such an adapter, what power-adaptor came with it? How large?
Because I hate those bulky power-adaptors which often come with
external hard disks. An important aspect for my buying decision!
Thanks for infos!

If no comments will come, I will simply buy the Digitus Adapter
DA-70148, as is is already recommended on the SMART-USB-Support-Wiki.

Please CC me in replies, as I am not regularly subsribed to the
mailinglist!

Regards, Stefan Nowak

Re: Inquiry: USB Devices which support SMART Protocol -- Recommendations?

Christian Franke
Stefan Nowak wrote:

> And found your supported devices list at:
> http://smartmontools.wiki.sourceforge.net/overview_USB-Support
>
> Thanks, for the people who have already contributed!
>
> In my country (Austria) there is an electronic product/retailer
> comparison site:
> http://geizhals.at/?cat=hdzub&sort=p&pixonoff=on&asuch=usb+sata
> http://geizhals.at/?cat=hdzub&sort=p&pixonoff=on&asuch=usb+ide
>
> It features these devices:
>
> Conceptronic CHDDOCK23E, eSATA/USB 2.0

Probably identical to:

> Sharkoon SATA Quickport Pro, eSATA/USB 2.0 (4044951008209)

This device is on the list.

> Sharkoon SATA Quickport, USB 2.0 (7790)

Probably identical to 'CROSU2 SATA Docking station' which is on the list.

> Skymaster 8632 IDE/SATA auf USB 2.0 Adapter
>
> Now the only device from this list, which is also featured on
> smartmontools' USB-Support wikisite is:
>
> Digitus DA-70148-1
>
> So please, if anyone has made experiences with one of the featured
> devices, please add your experiences to the wikisite!

 From the devices on your list, I have a Sharkoon SATA Quickport Pro. It
works 'as expected' :-)

> Additional info, for which I am personally very thankful: If you
> bought such an adapter, what power-adaptor came with it? How large?

A small 12V 2A adapter, see:
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hardware/peripherie/2008/test_sharkoon_sata_quickport_pro/2/

Cheers,
    Christian

Re: Inquiry: USB Devices which support SMART Protocol -- Recommendations?

Stefan Nowak
Hi smart guys!

Thanks for the answers so far!
Please tell me your opinion on my assumption:
If chipset X in product A from producer 1 is supported, then product B
from producer 2, which also uses chipset X, very likely also is
supported. Right?

Hence, I tried to find out the chipsets from some of the products,
listed in my original email. The datasheets or manuals did not reveal
anything about the chipset, but the supplied driver downloads,
unveiled some details! As I don't have wiki access, please use the
data from this email for the wiki. First also check, whether my
assumptions are right, as I am a layman concerning guessing the
chipset based on the supplied driver. Thanks!

Stefan Nowak

---

DeLOCK 61391 IDE/SATA to USB 2.0 Adapter

Product:
http://www.delock.de/produkte/suche/Converter_USB_20_zu_SATA_SLASH_IDE_61391.html?setLanguage=EN
Driver:
http://www.delock.de/download/driver/61391/A/202
Chipset Guess: JMicron JM20338

Driver contains this file, see file excerpts below:
UMSSA.INF

[Manufacturer]
"JMicron Tech."=JMicron

[JMicron]
%USB\VID_152D&PID_2338.DeviceDesc%=JM20338.install,USB\VID_152D&PID_2338
%UMSS\DISK.DeviceDesc%=umsspdr.install,UMSS\DISK

[Strings]
JM="JMicron Tech."
USB\VID_152D&PID_2338.DeviceDesc="JMicron SATA-USB Combo Device"
UMSS\DISK.DeviceDesc="USB Mass Storage Device"

Sharkoon DriveLink

Product:
http://www.sharkoon.de/html/produkte/externe_gehaeuse/drive_link/index_en.html
Manual:
http://www.sharkoon.de/html/support/bedienungsanleitungen/pdf/drivelink_manual_english.pdf
Driver:
http://www.sharkoon.de/html/support/treiber/treiber/drivelink_win98_driver.zip
Chipset Guess: JMicron JM20338

Driver contains this file, see file excerpts below:
JMUsbSto.inf

[Strings]
MSFT="JMicron"
MfgName="JMicron"
DeviceDesc="JM20338 SATA, USB Combo"
jmus\DISK.DeviceDesc="USB Mass Storage Device"
AUTORUN="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

Stefan Nowak wrote:
> Please tell me your opinion on my assumption:
> If chipset X in product A from producer 1 is supported, then product B
> from producer 2, which also uses chipset X, very likely also is
> supported. Right?

Yes.

There might be a small risk that this is not true due to vendor specific
changes to the firmware of the USB bridge.

> DeLOCK 61391 IDE/SATA to USB 2.0 Adapter
>
> Product:
> http://www.delock.de/produkte/suche/Converter_USB_20_zu_SATA_SLASH_IDE_61391.html?setLanguage=EN
> Driver:
> http://www.delock.de/download/driver/61391/A/202
> Chipset Guess: JMicron JM20338
> JM="JMicron Tech."
> USB\VID_152D&PID_2338.DeviceDesc="JMicron SATA-USB Combo Device"
> UMSS\DISK.DeviceDesc="USB Mass Storage Device"
>

> Sharkoon DriveLink
>
> Product:
> http://www.sharkoon.de/html/produkte/externe_gehaeuse/drive_link/index_en.html
> Manual:
> http://www.sharkoon.de/html/support/bedienungsanleitungen/pdf/drivelink_manual_english.pdf
> Driver:
> http://www.sharkoon.de/html/support/treiber/treiber/drivelink_win98_driver.zip
> Chipset Guess: JMicron JM20338

The JM20338 is a USB+SATA->PATA chip. Both products likely have a
JMicron JM20337 (USB->PATA+SATA). I presume that this is the same chip
with different firmware.

> MSFT="JMicron"
> MfgName="JMicron"
> DeviceDesc="JM20338 SATA, USB Combo"
> jmus\DISK.DeviceDesc="USB Mass Storage Device"
> AUTORUN="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

Both products should work with current CVS version of smartmontools on
all platforms which support SCSI pass-through (this does not include
MacOS X).
Auto-detection of these devices should also work on Linux and Windows.

If you have any test result for the Wiki, please tell me.

Cheers,
  Christian