Quantcast

Mac OSX and ata power status

antikus
Looking at the logs of my system (Mac OSX 10.6.8) I see what's looks like lack of support for checking ATA power status and therefore no support for the power saving '-n' flag in smartd.conf. Is this true? Or, did I botch my smartmontools installation? Thank you.

9/2/11 8:42:34 PM smartd[96] Device: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@180000/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@11/AppleAHCI/PRT3@3/IOAHCIDevice@0/AppleAHCIDiskDriver/IOAHCIBlockStorageDevice, no ATA CHECK POWER STATUS support, ignoring -n Directive

-- Anton

Re: Mac OSX and ata power status

Geoff Keating

On 02/09/2011, at 9:46 PM, antikus wrote:

> Looking at the logs of my system (Mac OSX 10.6.8) I see what's looks like
> lack of support for checking ATA power status and therefore no support for
> the power saving '-n' flag in smartd.conf. Is this true? Or, did I botch my
> smartmontools installation? Thank you.

This is true.  You actually can check the power status, but it wakes up the drive, so it's not very useful for the -n flag.