Re: -M once

Christian Franke
Costin Gus,a( wrote:
> I'd like smartd to report an error only once. Reading the manual, I
> put -M once to the config:
>
> /dev/sda -a -o on -S on -s (S/../(10|25)/./13|L/10/01/./13) -m
> [hidden email] -M once

 From http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/man/smartd.conf.5.html

"once - send only one warning *email* for each type of disk problem
detected. This is the default."

The -M directive does not influence the warning messages written to
syslog().

//

> However, logwatch reports:
>
>  Currently unreadable (pending) sectors detected:
>        /dev/sda - 48 Time(s)
>        4294967295 unreadable sectors detected
>
>  Offline uncorrectable sectors detected:
>        /dev/sda - 48 Time(s)
>        4294967295 offline uncorrectable sectors detected
>
> 48 times?! this of course could happen if the smartd is restarted 48
> times, but it isn't...:

Did you also get 48 emails ?

Cheers,
Christian

Re: -M once

Costin Guşă
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Christian Franke
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Costin Gus,a( wrote:
>>
>> I'd like smartd to report an error only once. Reading the manual, I
>> put -M once to the config:
>>
>> /dev/sda -a -o on -S on -s (S/../(10|25)/./13|L/10/01/./13) -m
>> [hidden email] -M once
>>

> From http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/man/smartd.conf.5.html
>
> "once - send only one warning *email* for each type of disk problem
> detected. This is the default."
>
> The -M directive does not influence the warning messages written to
> syslog().
>

> //
>>
>> However, logwatch reports:
>>
>>  Currently unreadable (pending) sectors detected:
>>       /dev/sda - 48 Time(s)
>>       4294967295 unreadable sectors detected
>>
>>  Offline uncorrectable sectors detected:
>>       /dev/sda - 48 Time(s)
>>       4294967295 offline uncorrectable sectors detected
>>
>> 48 times?! this of course could happen if the smartd is restarted 48
>> times, but it isn't...:
>>

> Did you also get 48 emails ?

oh, you must be right. I only got one e-mail; is it possible to also
log to syslog only once ?