Using SMARTd to monitor drives

12

Re: Using SMARTd to monitor drives

Christian Franke
Ray Andrews wrote:

> BTW, just now I wondering what the relationship is between
>

> # default is every 30 minutes:
> #smartd_opts="--interval=1800"
>
> in '/etc/default/smartmontools'
>
> and the '-i' switch used in '/etc/smartd.conf'.  The latter seems to
> have a different unit but in 'man smartd.conf' the switch is mentioned
> only in the text, it does not have a section devoted to it.  It seems
> legal to use but I'm not sure what's going on there and the value can't
> be above 255, it seems.

Besides the fact that '-i' is explained on smartd.conf man page, I
already explained the effects of both '-i' in my first answer from
2017-01-19. Please read & understand previous answers before asking same
question again.

> I've tried '-n standby' but it seems to be ignored, all my disks spin up
> after '$ smartd -q onecheck' even if I had just spun them down:
>
> $ hdparm -S60y /dev/sda; hdparm -S60y /dev/sdb; hdparm -S60y /dev/sdc
>
> /dev/sda:
>    setting standby to 60 (5 minutes)
>    issuing standby command
>
> /dev/sdb:
>    setting standby to 60 (5 minutes)
>    issuing standby command
>
> /dev/sdc:
>    setting standby to 60 (5 minutes)
>    issuing standby command

BTW, you could also do this with 'smartctl -s standby,N ...'

> $ smartd -q onecheck
>
> $ hdparm -C /dev/sda; hdparm -C /dev/sdb; hdparm -C /dev/sdc
>
> /dev/sda:
>    drive state is:  active/idle

This is as expected. The initial drive registration (SMART enable,
capability checks) is always done by smartd. This may or may not spin up
drives, depending on drive firmware.

Quote from smartd.conf man page
"This ┬┤nocheck┬┤ Directive is used to prevent a disk from being spun-up
when it is *periodically polled* by smartd."

Regards,
Christian

Re: Using SMARTd to monitor drives

Ray Andrews
On 06/02/17 10:40 PM, Christian Franke wrote:
> Ray Andrews wrote:
>
> Besides the fact that '-i' is explained on smartd.conf man page,
Yes, my mistake, pardon.  I forget which of several man pages I'm
looking at.  Above question was ad hoc, I should have given it more thought.

> already explained the effects of both '-i' in my first answer from
> 2017-01-19. Please read & understand previous answers before asking same
> question again.

Alas, answers drown in the sea of confusion sometimes.

> BTW, you could also do this with 'smartctl -s standby,N ...'
Thanks.  But finally I'm beginning to understand the man page.  As I've
confessed, really I have just wanted quick, easy answers without deep
understanding; I had not expected to devote much study to SMART, but it
seems that deep study cannot be avoided.  For the beginner, it is
overwhelming.

12