WDC WD5000BEVT: SMART command failed

Linux User #330250
Hi!
I tried smartctl with my new Western Digital Elements 500GB USB2.0 drive and I
get this error:

# smartctl -a -d sat /dev/sdb
smartctl version 5.38 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     WDC WD5000BEVT-11ZAT0
Serial Number:    WD-************
Firmware Version: 01.01A01
User Capacity:    500,107,862,016 bytes
Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is:    Mon Mar 23 20:08:34 2009 CET
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

Error SMART Status command failed
Please get assistance from http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
Values from ATA Return Descriptor are:
 00     09 0c 00 00 50 00 00 00  c2 4f 00 00 00 00
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T
permissive' options.

Maybe this helps too:

#lsusb -v
Bus 004 Device 007: ID 1058:1010 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x1058 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
  idProduct          0x1010
  bcdDevice            1.05
  iManufacturer           1 Western Digital
  iProduct                2 External HDD
  iSerial                 3 ************************
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           32
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower                2mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  bNumConfigurations      1
Device Status:     0x0001
  Self Powered

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Linux User #330250

-------------------------
Gentoo Linux 2008.0
IBM ThinkPad R51 1830-DG4
Intel Pentium-M 1.7GHz
2GB RAM PC-2700
250GB PATA HDD
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
32MB VRAM
-------------------------

Re: WDC WD5000BEVT: SMART command failed

Christian Franke
Andreas aka Linux User #330250 wrote:

> Hi!
> I tried smartctl with my new Western Digital Elements 500GB USB2.0 drive and I
> get this error:
>
> # smartctl -a -d sat /dev/sdb
> smartctl version 5.38 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
> Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
>
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Device Model:     WDC WD5000BEVT-11ZAT0
> Serial Number:    WD-************

You can also suppress serial number output by '-q noserial'.

> Firmware Version: 01.01A01
> User Capacity:    500,107,862,016 bytes
> Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
> ATA Version is:   8
> ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
> Local Time is:    Mon Mar 23 20:08:34 2009 CET
> SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
> SMART support is: Enabled
>
> Error SMART Status command failed
> Please get assistance from http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
> Values from ATA Return Descriptor are:
>  00     09 0c 00 00 50 00 00 00  c2 4f 00 00 00 00
> A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T
> permissive' options.

Did you try '-d sat,12' also ?

AFAIK, the Linux SCSI pass-through ioctl has problems when 16 byte SCSI
commands are sent to USB layer.

Even with '-d sat,12'  there is also a problem with truncated ATA return
register values. This requires a '-T permissive' option for SMART
status. There is a workaround in current CVS release.

> Maybe this helps too:
>
> #lsusb -v
>   idVendor           0x1058 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
>   idProduct          0x1010
>   bcdDevice            1.05
>   iManufacturer           1 Western Digital
>   iProduct                2 External HDD

If '-d sat,12' works, this would be a new entry for
http://smartmontools.wiki.sourceforge.net/overview_USB-Support

Cheers,
    Christian

Christian wrote:

> > Error SMART Status command failed
> > Please get assistance from http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
> > Values from ATA Return Descriptor are:
> >  00     09 0c 00 00 50 00 00 00  c2 4f 00 00 00 00
> > A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more
> > '-T permissive' options.
>
> Did you try '-d sat,12' also ?
>
> AFAIK, the Linux SCSI pass-through ioctl has problems when 16 byte SCSI
> commands are sent to USB layer.
>
> Even with '-d sat,12'  there is also a problem with truncated ATA return
> register values. This requires a '-T permissive' option for SMART
> status. There is a workaround in current CVS release.

I did now. Looks good, except for the "Error SMART Status command failed"
error message.

As a Gentoo Linux user I will wait for the next release version and emerge it
as soon as it's available. I hope that the options '-d sat,12 -T permissive'
will become much easier to use, like autodetection or '-d usb' or something
similar.

> If '-d sat,12' works, this would be a new entry for
> http://smartmontools.wiki.sourceforge.net/overview_USB-Support

I will do so, as soon as spare time permits. BTW, isn't it easier to request
addition to the database via [hidden email]?

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Linux User #330250

Re: WDC WD5000BEVT: SMART command failed

Christian Franke
Andreas aka Linux User #330250 wrote:

> Christian wrote:

>> Even with '-d sat,12'  there is also a problem with truncated ATA return
>> register values. This requires a '-T permissive' option for SMART
>> status. There is a workaround in current CVS release.
>>

> I did now. Looks good, except for the "Error SMART Status command failed"
> error message.
>
> As a Gentoo Linux user I will wait for the next release version and emerge it
> as soon as it's available. I hope that the options '-d sat,12 -T permissive'
> will become much easier to use, like autodetection or '-d usb' or something
> similar.

Yes. With current CVS, '-T permissive' should no longer be needed and
there is now an experimental USB device autodetection for Linux and Windows.

I just added the USB Id of this device to the autodetection table.

>> If '-d sat,12' works, this would be a new entry for
>> http://smartmontools.wiki.sourceforge.net/overview_USB-Support
>>

> I will do so, as soon as spare time permits.

Done :-)

> BTW, isn't it easier to request
> addition to the database via [hidden email]?

The drive database allows to set '-v' and '-F' options to handle issues
of specific ATA drive models. This is unrelated to USB-transport or
operating system problems.

The failing SMART status is a Linux kernel problem. The status command
is the only SMART command where the ATA output registers are required.
SAT returns these values in the SCSI sense data. AFAIK, this data is
truncated by the Linux USB layer.

Cheers,
    Christian