Quantcast

scteHD204UI on ICH10R in RAID5

Fab35
Hi!

I try to build a RAID 5 array on an ASUS P5QD Turbo with ICH10R. The HD204UI
work quite well when not in RAID but in AHCI mode and I can set scterc to 70
as needed. Ah, it is running on an Win 2008 R2 host.

Two problems: When creating a RAID 5 array I can still access the drives
individually with smartctl via /dev/csmiX,X but the set parameter turns out
to be 57345 now. I can still set the sctecr again to 70 - no error message,
but if I check it again it's still 37345.
What to do? Ignore and believe it's still 70? I fear of the devices dropping
out of the array. Maybe it's not set correctly, maybe it's just a problem of
reading the value when in RAID and it actually IS 70. When I delete the RAID
volume and check the disks individually it IS 70.

Second problem - when power was off, the sctecr is lost and must be set
again. No problem with individual disks - but if it doesn't work correctly
when in RAID?

Another thing that got my interest is the setting for parking timeout. I
found that it can be manipulated with hdparm - is this not possible with
smartcontrol?

Any ideas?

Thank you! I was quite glad to see, that smart status can now be read
through ICH10R RAID. It was one of my main reasons not to build a RAID but
use the disks individually. Now it seems that the once planned RAID5 is in
range. :-)

Bye,

 Fabian

Re: scteHD204UI on ICH10R in RAID5

Christian Franke
Fabian Geis wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I try to build a RAID 5 array on an ASUS P5QD Turbo with ICH10R. The HD204UI
> work quite well when not in RAID but in AHCI mode and I can set scterc to 70
> as needed. Ah, it is running on an Win 2008 R2 host.
>
> Two problems: When creating a RAID 5 array I can still access the drives
> individually with smartctl via /dev/csmiX,X but the set parameter turns out
> to be 57345 now. I can still set the sctecr again to 70 - no error message,
> but if I check it again it's still 37345.

The SCT ERC Get command requires ATA output registers from SMART WRITE
LOG command which might not be supported by all drivers. The ERC Set
command does not need output registers, so Set might work while Get doesn't.

Intel RAID version? "smartctl -l scterc" worked for me with Intel RAID
5.5 and 8.8.

Does "smartctl -H" work properly? This command also requires ATA output
registers.

> What to do? Ignore and believe it's still 70? I fear of the devices dropping
> out of the array. Maybe it's not set correctly, maybe it's just a problem of
> reading the value when in RAID and it actually IS 70. When I delete the RAID
> volume and check the disks individually it IS 70.

Which driver was used after deleting the RAID: Still Intel RAID driver
or some other (AHCI) driver?

If you could repeat the test (set in RAID mode, get in non-RAID mode)
with some other values (e.g. 75,80) the you could assume that ERC Set works.
(BTW: smartd could now also set ERC on startup)

> Second problem - when power was off, the sctecr is lost and must be set
> again. No problem with individual disks - but if it doesn't work correctly
> when in RAID?

This is probably the only difference between the standard and RAID
editions of some disks: RE set ERC to 70,70 by default.

> Another thing that got my interest is the setting for parking timeout. I
> found that it can be manipulated with hdparm - is this not possible with
> smartcontrol?

Sorry no.

> Thank you! I was quite glad to see, that smart status can now be read
> through ICH10R RAID. It was one of my main reasons not to build a RAID but
> use the disks individually. Now it seems that the once planned RAID5 is in
> range.:-)

Thanks,
Christian

Re: scteHD204UI on ICH10R in RAID5

Fab35
Christian Franke wrote
> I try to build a RAID 5 array on an ASUS P5QD Turbo with ICH10R. The HD204UI
> work quite well when not in RAID but in AHCI mode and I can set scterc to 70
> as needed. Ah, it is running on an Win 2008 R2 host.
>
> Two problems: When creating a RAID 5 array I can still access the drives
> individually with smartctl via /dev/csmiX,X but the set parameter turns out
> to be 57345 now. I can still set the sctecr again to 70 - no error message,
> but if I check it again it's still 37345.

The SCT ERC Get command requires ATA output registers from SMART WRITE
LOG command which might not be supported by all drivers. The ERC Set
command does not need output registers, so Set might work while Get doesn't.

Intel RAID version? "smartctl -l scterc" worked for me with Intel RAID
5.5 and 8.8.

Does "smartctl -H" work properly? This command also requires ATA output
registers.
Mhm, I'm not sure about the driver version. Device manager says 10.1.
0.1008 for the controller. But within the storage manager I can't find any version number. I remember that the ROM version was quite old actually and the storage manager tells me, that the ROM is not compatible with disks equal or larger than 1.5 TB. It still works from within the storage manager though.

smartctl -H works, as does smartctl -a.

Christian Franke wrote
> What to do? Ignore and believe it's still 70? I fear of the devices dropping
> out of the array. Maybe it's not set correctly, maybe it's just a problem of
> reading the value when in RAID and it actually IS 70. When I delete the RAID
> volume and check the disks individually it IS 70.

Which driver was used after deleting the RAID: Still Intel RAID driver
or some other (AHCI) driver?

If you could repeat the test (set in RAID mode, get in non-RAID mode)
with some other values (e.g. 75,80) the you could assume that ERC Set works.
(BTW: smartd could now also set ERC on startup)
How do I know which driver is used? I did not change anything but delete the RAID volume in the storage manager, even not reboot.

I tried again and set the five disks to five different values (disabled, 50, 60, 70 ... and so on). After creating the RAID volume every disk gives 37345. After deleting the volume again, all disks have their initially set value, so I guess it's just a readout problem. Setting the scterc while in RAID worked, too. After deleting the volume, the disk retained its set value. It just seems not possible to get a valid result while in RAID. Hopefully...

Remember that I made all tests while the Volume was initializing. I assume the same results after initializing finishes but I couldnt test - it takes about 24 hours...

I wonder if I should give it a try, just to see if the RAID will be degrading or stable.

Thanks,
 Fabian