Quantcast

smartmon email notifications are not always very 'smart' (need stateful information)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

smartmon email notifications are not always very 'smart' (need stateful information)

Anshuman Aggarwal
Hi,
 the email notifications generated by smartmon tools do not work in a
very smart manner, hence limitiing their usefulness. Here is an
example:

I have a drive that is supposedly failing but will likely last me 6-8
months more (as part of a raid 6 cluster so I don't feel compelled to
replace right away, it also allowed a full reconstruction of the 2 TB
cluster without any issues) It gives the following error notifications
everyday for the last 3 months via emails.


Device: /dev/sdg [SAT], 11 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Device: /dev/sdg [SAT], 11 Offline uncorrectable sectors


However the number of reallocated and unreadable sectors is NOT going
up. It stays the same at 11 and 5 and has been for the last 3-4
months.

What I *would like* to see is a notification only when the number
*changes* from the last time the error failed so that I can react to
that change that the drive is 'worsening'.

Right now I get the same information repeated every day, which I have
to ignore on my own and will probably end up ignoring it when the
drive actually fails.

Anybody else feel this issue? Have I missed something in the settings etc?

Cheers,
Anshuman

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Smartmontools-support mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/smartmontools-support
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: smartmon email notifications are not always very 'smart' (need stateful information)

Ray Andrews
On 06/02/17 07:39 PM, Anshuman Aggarwal wrote:
> Anybody else feel this issue? Have I missed something in the settings etc?

This is exactly my issue too.  But I can say that after looking at ' 77
Currently unreadable (pending) sectors' every day for over a year, I
finally realized   that an: "$  e2fsck -ccvy ..."  style check on the
entire disk will clear the error.  But yes, some way of only seeing some
further deterioration in the disk would be very nice.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Smartmontools-support mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/smartmontools-support
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: smartmon email notifications are not always very 'smart' (need stateful information)

Christian Franke
In reply to this post by Anshuman Aggarwal
Anshuman Aggarwal wrote:

> ...
> I have a drive that is supposedly failing but will likely last me 6-8
> months more (as part of a raid 6 cluster so I don't feel compelled to
> replace right away, it also allowed a full reconstruction of the 2 TB
> cluster without any issues) It gives the following error notifications
> everyday for the last 3 months via emails.
>
>
> Device: /dev/sdg [SAT], 11 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
>
> Device: /dev/sdg [SAT], 11 Offline uncorrectable sectors
>
>
> However the number of reallocated and unreadable sectors is NOT going
> up. It stays the same at 11 and 5 and has been for the last 3-4
> months.
>
> What I *would like* to see is a notification only when the number
> *changes* from the last time the error failed so that I can react to
> that change that the drive is 'worsening'.

Try '-C 197+ -U 198+' directives, see smartd.conf man page.


Regards,
Christian


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Smartmontools-support mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/smartmontools-support
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: smartmon email notifications are not always very 'smart' (need stateful information)

Anshuman Aggarwal
Doh! You always think you're not going to be the noob who hasn't RTFM
but then it happens to you.

On 7 February 2017 at 11:54, Christian Franke
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anshuman Aggarwal wrote:
>>
>> ...
>> I have a drive that is supposedly failing but will likely last me 6-8
>> months more (as part of a raid 6 cluster so I don't feel compelled to
>> replace right away, it also allowed a full reconstruction of the 2 TB
>> cluster without any issues) It gives the following error notifications
>> everyday for the last 3 months via emails.
>>
>>
>> Device: /dev/sdg [SAT], 11 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
>>
>> Device: /dev/sdg [SAT], 11 Offline uncorrectable sectors
>>
>>
>> However the number of reallocated and unreadable sectors is NOT going
>> up. It stays the same at 11 and 5 and has been for the last 3-4
>> months.
>>
>> What I *would like* to see is a notification only when the number
>> *changes* from the last time the error failed so that I can react to
>> that change that the drive is 'worsening'.
>
>
> Try '-C 197+ -U 198+' directives, see smartd.conf man page.
>
>
> Regards,
> Christian
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Smartmontools-support mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/smartmontools-support
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: smartmon email notifications are not always very 'smart' (need stateful information)

Ray Andrews
On 07/02/17 11:20 PM, Anshuman Aggarwal wrote:
> Doh! You always think you're not going to be the noob who hasn't RTFM
> but then it happens to you.

I've been trying to RTFM but keep bouncing off the jargon and complexity
of it ... but I'm making progress.  As I said previously, I had hoped
for some quick and simple answers but there are none.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Smartmontools-support mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/smartmontools-support
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: smartmon email notifications are not always very 'smart' (need stateful information)

Christian Franke
In reply to this post by Anshuman Aggarwal
Anshuman Aggarwal wrote:
> Doh! You always think you're not going to be the noob who hasn't RTFM
> but then it happens to you.
>
> On 7 February 2017 at 11:54, Christian Franke
> <Christian.Franke@...> wrote:

PCYMTNQREAIYR[1] !

Thanks,
Christian

[1] https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Smartmontools-support mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/smartmontools-support
Loading...